Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Mail fron 2004

Hi, stumbled on the site. interesting start. Johnny Paris, The Mods and Struff and Terry? Missed quite a bit. I just saw Lothar and Bob recently in Vegas, they were doing one of their few a year performances with Paul Williams. If you remember them from back in the day, it's quite interesting to see them as "older" men. In the picture is Dave Wilcox as well, originally from Dephus (not sure how it's spelled) then came to Toledo to play at Mr. Entertainer on Sylvania with Tym Chandler, Bob and that gang, drummed with several groups, lastly with my trio, SNS (Essence) before he and I left for Las Vegas, Tym would follow some time later. Tym was murdered in Vegas about 15 years ago, Dave no longer plays, but remains in Vegas, I am still in Vegas as well, but preparing to return to Toledo, as Vegas NO LONGER has much live music and WAY too many people competing for it. I was heard playing at Tiffinannys on Central by the ex-owners of the Landmark hotel who brought me out, and I commuted for a while, moving my family there in 81. There is so much info that I can't think where to start. There is a book out, don't recall the name but it speaks of Rock and Roll and it has a picture of Johnny Paris, Butch Matis, etc, talks of them playing London and having the Beatles open for them. In the picture, which is much later, is Ray Holly. Ray now of Austin Texas and no longer playing was the guitar player for the Buckeneers, which also had Tym Chandler and his brother Steve along with Dave Youngman who now plays at one of the Islands in Lake Erie. The drummer in the group was Mike Lamb and his mother "granny" was a legend around Toledo. I joined after becoming friends with Tym playing together at TU. We got a recording contract with Mainstream Records owned by Bob Shad, and recorded at the Record Plant in New York. While there the name was changed to the East River Drive. After returning I left, and they reformed. We restructured the group about 1972 with Greg Price, Tym Chandler, Ray Holly, Bob Terry and myself, Scott Nellis (now performing under the name Nellis Scott) That group broke up at Bennys East when Bob Terry packed up and road bike to LA to hook up with Lothar again and sing for Paul. By the way, you neglect to mention the third party in Zaftig which I believe was Jim Stein, who went on the do great things I'm told on Broadway. There was another group in their as well with Lothar, Bob and Brent Bissel. After the East River Drive broke up, Tym and I started a group called Rochestra, before ever performing I broke my arm and left the project, coming out of the break in a group with Dave Shoffer called Soundscape. Then my trip SNS and then left for Las Vegas, where I auditioned and performed for Liberace, traveled with Lola Folana and Opened for Redd Foxx, amongst others. Worked cruise ships, clubs, hotels, and such. I have been a vocal coach for 25 years as well. I still perform as a solo. Greg remains in Toledo and Mike Lamb died of cancer about three years ago. Anyway, hope that helps. SNS

No comments: